BARNES MENTOR AWARD
About the Award
|The 2016 Frank Barnes Mentor Award was awarded to Ed Saltzman. Read more...|
The Frank Barnes Award was established in 2000 by a group of Licensing Executives Society (U.S.A. and Canada) Inc., members to memorialize Frank Barnes’ vast contributions to the field of licensing through mentorship.
Each year at the LES (USA & Canada), Annual Meeting, a $500 award is presented to an LES member who, like Mr. Barnes, has dedicated considerable time and energy to mentoring fellow licensing professionals.
About Frank Barnes
Frank Barnes, Corporate Vice President for Abbott Labs, passed away in June 2000 after a long fight with cancer. Frank's contributions to Abbott through his in-licensing prowess are legendary, earning the company billions of dollars annually.
Aside from his financial impact for Abbott, Frank was known throughout the pharmaceutical industry as one of the ‘Deans of Pharma Licensing’. An early supporter of LES (USA & Canada), Frank mentored dozens of licensing executives who continue to make huge contributions throughout the pharmaceutical industry. Thus, his legacy lives on.
2016 Frank Barnes Mentorship Award Winner, Ed Saltzman
William Mattson speaks about the Frank Barnes Mentorship Award
- 2016 - Ed Saltzman
- 2015 - Lawrence J. Udell
- 2014 - John G. Poulos, AbbVie
- 2013 - Don Drinkwater, Bose Corporation
- 2012 - Pam Demain, Merck
- 2011 - Richard Razgaitis, Charles River Associates, Inc.
- 2010 - Thomas Picone, Ph.D., Merck
- 2009 - Catherine Sohn, CLP, GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) Consumer Healthcare
- 2008 - Marvin C. Guthrie, CLP, Sterne, Kessler, Goldstein
- 2007 - E.B. (Ted) Cross, Canadian Innovation Centre and E.B. Cross & Company
- 2006 - Dr. Julius Vida, VIDA International Pharmaceutical Consultants
- 2005 - Louis P. Berneman, Texelerate
- 2004 - James Foley, Vice President, Japan International, Bristol-Myers Squibb Company
- 2003 - Arlene Morris, President & CEO, Affymax, Inc.
- 2002 - Jack Anthony, Vice President, Saegis Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- 2001 - Herman (Hank) Weisman, President, Weisman & Associates, Inc.
Nominate a Mentor
Please send your nomination, along with a one-page summary as to why he/she is deserving to: Frank Barnes Award Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org
- An LES member from any Sector;
- A significant part of the career of the person must be dedicated to the field of licensing;
- The person must have mentored multiple Licensing Executives; and
- At least two nominations are required for each individual.
How to Contribute
If you and/or your firm would like to contribute to the award, please do so in the name of "LES - Frank Barnes Mentor Award", and mail to: Frank Barnes Mentor Award, Licensing Executives Society (U.S.A. and Canada), Inc., 1120 Route 73, Suite 200, Mount Laurel, NJ 08054.